Bryan Hall, the oldest building on campus, was originally built in 1907 as a dormitory for the Florida Female College. FSU renovated the building in 1996 to recapture the turn-of-the-century elegance of the original structure and with the hope of creating the ideal place for a living-learning community on campus. The project originated as a joint venture between the College of Arts and Sciences and University Housing. After gathering several supporters, engaging in much discussion, and conducting careful research, Florida State officially opened Bryan Hall as home to its first Learning Community in the Fall of 1997.
Bryan Hall is a co-ed residential hall housing 128 students. Bryan Hall is a suite-style hall, in which two rooms are connected by a bathroom. Bathrooms may be shared by 4-5 students. Bryan Hall has a 24 seat in-house classroom, which provides the rare opportunity for first year students to take part in small enrollment humanities courses. Bryan Hall is also home to a rec room, laundry facility, spacious lounge, and study areas. Here is a view of typical room layout in Bryan.
Bryan is convenient to many campus amenities: Suwannee Dining Hall, Ruby Diamond Auditorium, the Westcott fountain, College of Music, Strozier library, etc. Here is Bryan Hall on the University map.
A professional housing staff member ("Residence Coordinator") lives in the complex, overseeing residential programs and activities. The Learning Community Faculty Director and Graduate Assistant work together to provide in-residence office hours, coordinate academic opportunities, and facilitate learning community events.